What should I do with my cookies?
Some display problems and log in issues can be solved by clearing your cookies.
If you are using Internet Explorer on Windows, you can delete all your cookies by selecting ‘Internet Options’ from the ‘Tools’ menu, and then clicking the ‘Delete Cookies’ button.
If you just want to delete the nanowrimo.org cookie, you should be able to find it in the C:\Windows\Cookies or C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Cookies directory.
Please post in the Tech Help & Site Bug Reports Forum if you need cookie removal instructions for another browser.
What should I do with my firewall settings?
Some personal firewall products don’t play nicely with the built in security features of our site. The easiest way to resolve this problem is to add www.nanowrimo.org to the list of trusted or permitted sites in your personal firewall settings.
If you are using Norton Internet Security, or Norton Personal Firewall, please follow these instructions to add nanowrimo to the permitted list:
- Open NIS/NPF
- Click on “Privacy Control”, then click the yellow “Configure” button in the right-hand sidebar.
- Click “Advanced”
- Click “Add Site” and type “www.nanowrimo.org” in the dialog box that appears
- In both the Global Settings and User Settings boxes, uncheck the boxes, and change the settings to “Permit”
- Click “OK” and close NIS/NPF
(Thanks to RedBearOC for these instructions!)
If you are using Internet Explorer, you may also need to add www.nanowrimo.org to the Trusted Sites list in IE:
- Go to Tools> Internet Options> Security Tab
- Click on the green checkmark (Trusted Sites)
- Click on the Sites button to see the list of trusted sites
- Another dialogue box comes up to allow you to add www.nanowrimo.org
(Thanks to Cybele for these instructions!)
Which browsers does NaNoWriMo support? What should I do if I notice a browser bug?
Browsers are too different and too numerous for us to test and support every possible browser option. We decide which browsers to support based on a couple of criteria. First, we check our site logs and make sure that we support the most popular browsers. Next, we want to make sure that we support at least one free browser on each Operating System.
We test the site on the following browsers:
-Internet Explorer 7 and 8
-Mozilla Firefox 2 and 3 (Windows and Macintosh)
We do not support other browsers, although things will probably work just fine on most of them.