Scarletvirago is a 30-something wife and mom who has a horror of talking about herself in the third person. A former single mom, I married my childhood sweetheart shortly before my 30th birthday and he and the United States Army proceeded to drag me across 2 continents and one ocean. I frikkin' LOVE it! I attempted to write my first story at age eight - a high-drama romance where the heroine learned of her pregnancy when something "weird" started moving in her stomach. Even then, I was leaning towards sci-fi/fantasy. I am a huge fantasy junkie and think the wave of paranormal storytelling that has swept our culture since Buffy the Vampire Slayer became the BEST THING ON TELEVISION is all for the good. I love fairy tale retellings, especially those with a twist. I read every single Sword and Sorceress anthology edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley as an adolescent and teen and took all of my writing advice from her introductions. I'm still sad she's gone. I think writing becomes a talent when it becomes a skill that you truly love.
- Saint Robert, MO and Fort Leonard Wood
- writing, photography, my dog, cooking, history, philosophy
- Favorite noveling music:
- Whatever sets the mood for the scene.
- Mostly volunteer work for whatever Army base we're on.
- Favorite books or authors:
- To Kill A Mockingbird, The Left Hand of Darkness, Death Comes for the Archbishop, Paladin of Souls, Huckleberry Finn, American Gods, Strangers In Paradise, The Mists of Avalon, The Broken Citadel, , Lois McMaster Bujold, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Mark Twain, Neil Gaiman, Terry Moore, Carrie Vaughn, Robin McKinley, Connie Willis, Tiger and Del, The Postman, Emergence