The Hobbit's Rhapsody
This is my second year as a WriMo, and I hope it will be even more successful than the first (wherein I just barely broke 50,000 words and never did finish the whole novel—not that I’m not still thrilled to have done that much)! Unfortunately, I don’t have a plot outline, only fragments and vague ideas, but hopefully my characters are solid enough to write it themselves! (Ha.) I’m currently a part-time college honors student and a full-time geek. I have a few novels and short stories in progress year-round, but am also a meticulous editor and tend to accumulate word count very slowly—hence my main motivation for participating in NaNoWriMo. I additionally have taken up writing fanfiction in the last year and a half, and do have several dozen finished pieces, primarily in the form of oneshots.
Sa farn palan. No in elenath hîlar nan hâd gîn.
• • • • • • • •
Other non-authory facts about me (as carried over from my 2011 bio): I'm a Jesus freak and Tolkien geek. I watch far more British television than American. I ride the city bus to school, and if I wrote a novel about all the wacky characters I've encountered on the metro, it would probably read like a Dr. Seuss book. I'm four-foot-nine and own sixteen different hats. I am a pathological lexiophile. I frequently listen to any genre of music but country (though I am not a huge fan of rap or jazz, either). I am a stolid believer in the Oxford comma and thus the nemesis of journalism majors everywhere. I want to marry a fellow nerdfighter and live in a tower, and build a library that looks like the TARDIS (because aren't books really all bigger on the inside?).
- Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Writing, reading, playing piano, introspecting, sporadic video games, theology, sketching, ingesting the lore and legendarium of Middle-Earth, imagining complexly, attempting to be witty, napping frequently, indexing imaginary universes, laughing at poorly written literature
- Favorite noveling music:
- Currently: lots of film scores, Ingrid Michaelson, Florence + the Machine, Jon Foreman, Death Cab For Cutie, Within Temptation
- Unemployed English major.
- Favorite books or authors:
- J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Megan Whalen Turner, Tosca Lee, Ted Dekker, Stephen R. Lawhead, R. A. Salvatore, Diana Wynne Jones, Maggie Stiefvater, Robin McKinley, Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451", Wilkie Collins' "The Woman In White", Oscar Wilde, Sharon Shinn, L. B. Graham, Timothy Zahn, Jane Austen, Brian Jacques, Eva Ibbotson, Jeffrey Overstreet, Ursula K. LeGuin, Melody Carlson, Wayne Thomas Batson, Karen Hancock's "Legends of the Guardian-King" series, Peter Dickinson's "The Ropemaker", Bryan Davis, Gail Carson Levine, Maria V. Snyder, Orson Scott Card, Sharon Hinck, Garth Nix, Shannon Hale, Frank Peretti, Terry Brooks, Cornelia Funke, J. K. Rowling, Lisa Mantchev, Walter Farley, Jerry B. Jenkins, Sarah Dessen's "Listen", Catherine Jinks' "Pagan Chronicles", Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series, William Goldman's "The Princess Bride," Arthur Golden's "Memoirs of a Geisha", Star Wars "Legacy of the Force" series, Alicia Petersen's "A Sparrow Alone”, G. K. Chesterton